Bones DeVuono

Month: 
2011-07

Antifreeze is a common toxin for household pets. It has a pleasant taste and unfortunately very small amounts can be fatal. Bones is a happy 4 year old yellow lab who decided some antifreeze would be a tasty snack. Fortunately for Bones he was caught in the act and brought in for treatment immediately. Antifreeze is metabolized very rapidly by the liver and it is these toxic metabolites that lead to kidney damage and ultimately acute kidney failure. Treatment involves giving fluids and ethyl alcohol intravenously for several days. The ethyl alcohol is metabolized by the same sites as antifreeze and blocks the metabolism of antifreeze, preventing the toxic metabolites from forming and causing kidney damage. In Bones’ case, treatment was started early and kidney damage was prevented