"Sir Benjamin" Harrison

Month: 
2010-03

Chocolate ingestion is one of the most common toxicities we seen in dogs. Pets may be exposed to a variety of coca and chocolate products, which contain varying amounts of theobromine and caffeine, the toxic ingredients. Sir Benjamin is a small poodle that ate a large amount of chocolate for his body weight. Within hours of eating the chocolate, Sir Benjamin developed typical symptoms, including; excessive thirst, vomiting, restlessness and tremors. In severe cases chocolate intoxication can lead to seizures, abnormal heart rhythms, hyperthermia and even coma. In some instances, the high fat content of certain chocolate products can result in pancreatitis. Fortunately, Sir Benjamin’s owner recognized the symptoms and sought prompt treatment resulting in a complete recovery.