- Try and determine if the cat has experienced recent stress in its life. “Stressors” could include changes in the weather, the cat’s environment (a recent move, the addition of a new pet or new family member), change in diet or feeding schedule, change in litter type, etc.
- Provide at least one litter box/cat.
- Keep the litter boxes in “quiet” areas of the home (avoid “high-noise” or “high-traffic” areas). Try placing one litter box in a spare room for the affected cat (a room other cats/pets in the household do not have access to).
- Do not use covered litter boxes.
- Use unscented, fine-grained type litter (different cats like different litter types). Play with the depth of the litter to determine the cat’s preference.
- Change the litter frequently.
- Keep food and water bowls in a quiet area of the home, away from windows, heat vents, exhaust fans, etc. Keep the food and water bowls away from the litter box location.
- Allow the problematic cat more space and a chance to be a “cat.” Don’t forget: cats are independent creatures that like to be in control. It would be great if the cat could have its own room complete with its scratch post, food and water bowls and litter box. Provide toys that allow the cat to chase and catch and suitable surfaces for scratching behaviour. If you use a laser pointer, a toy must be associated (the cat must be rewarded with a “capture”).
- Make changes in the cat’s routine, including diet changes, very slowly.
- There are sprays that your veterinarian may recommend in an attempt to decrease “environmental anxiety.” Such sprays can be used in the environment close to the litter box, to food and water bowls, and in areas where the cat likes to “hang out.”
- Your veterinarian may recommend drugs for highly stressed cats.
December 19, 2022
December 19, 2022
Obesity and Your Dog
Ways to Encourage Water Intake
Abscess and Drain Care
FAQ’s for New Dog Owners
Resources for New Puppy Owners
The Cost of Pet Care
Vaccinations For Your Cat
Vaccinations for Your Dog
Quality of Life Questions
Why Pet Insurance?
December 13th, 2022|0 Comments
Leave A Comment